Recently I saw the graphic/pic above in one of my Sosua/cabarete Facebook groups I am a member of. It got 500 likes. All of the facebook commenters were pointing out the fact that the capital (Santo Domingo) is overcrowded, poor and uneducated, and the infrastructure sucks.
I would like to make the following observations/points that I believe from my own experience are true:
- there are more power outages in Santo Domingo,
- the internet is also more sketchy,
- the water quality is questionable,
- eating in restaurants is more risky because people are negligent about hygiene,
- the road/transportation is awful: continual traffic jams anywhere you want to go.
It does not matter where you want to go in Santo Domingo: bank on an hour in the taxi or uber to get there. I could not go anywhere without having a good stretch of stop-and-go traffic jamming things up. And the exhaust starts to seep in the windows. The whole thing was really discouraging quite frankly.